My mother, ever the pessimist, didn’t believe I made my own Hollandaise sauce. “Its so tricky to make, surely yours is from a packet!” Charming mother. I do make my own, and to anyone who has ever tried and failed, follow my method because it works a treat! Its beautiful with poached eggs, asparagus and salmon. Hence the reason I put these lovely items together to create one of our favourite meals here at “Casa del me and him”.
Grilled Salmon with Poached Eggs, Grilled Aspargus, Rosemary Potatoes and Hollandaise Sauce.
Sounds good yes? Let me show you how. Now, I must point out the this take a little bit of jiggery pokery to get the timings of all these pieces right but don’t panic, take it slow and easy. Salmon is such a versatile fish and you will see it come up again and again throughout my blog – its so yummy! My recipe serves 2 but you can easily adjust the servings to make it for more.
Note: this recipe contains raw eggs
2 Salmon Fillets
300g Maris Piper potatoes
10 Asparagus Spears (or as many as you want!)
One tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 egg yolks
Salt and Pepper – Pinch of each.
To Make the Rosemary Potatoes (40-50mins) –
- Peels and wash your potatoes.
- Now cut into small cubes and place in an oven tray.
- Pour in a tablespoon of olive oil and mix through the potatoes so they are all coated….yes with your hands!
- Now simply season the cubes with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and cook for 40-50 mins, until golden brown.
While they are cooking lets start with the rest of your meal. This is where the timing takes a little bit of work. They all take about the same time so check the times of each to do and plan accordingly.
To Cook the Salmon (10-15mins) –
- Heat your grill to a medium heat about 10 mins before you want to cook the salmon.
- Place your salmon on the grill tray.
- Rub salt and pepper onto the salmon and well…that’s it.
- Cook under the grill, until pink right through and browned on top.
To Poach the Eggs (10-12mins) –
- Bring a frying pan of water to the boil.
- Once it has boiled allow it to cool so its not longer bubbling.
- Add 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar.
- GENTLY crack the eggs into the still water from a low height.
- Allow to cook until the eggs are white all over – they should have a white covering over the yolk also.
- Do not be tempted to remove them too soon or they will still have a raw top – if the top still looks raw GENTLY splash a bit of water over them until white.
- Once they are white, take a “spoon with holes in it” (I am sure it has a technical name but I’ll be damned, I don’t know it!) and drain of water gently before putting it on the plate.
To Grill the Asparagus (5min-10mins) –
- Wash the asparagus.
- Coat in oilve oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place under the grill.
- Cook for 5-10 mins (depending on your grill) or until brown
To Make the Hollandaise Sauce (10-15mins) –
- Start by placing three egg yolks in a small bowl, seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place in a food processor or blender and blend thoroughly for about 1 minute. Switch off the blender
- Now, in a small saucepan, heat the lemon juice and white wine vinegar until simmering.
- Switch your blender back on and SLOWLY pour you hot mixture in to the egg yolks. Switch off the blender
- Using the same saucepan, melt the butter over a gentle heat – careful not to let it brown.
- Once the butter is “foamy”, switch on the blender again and pour the butter in. Again – SLOWLY!
- Once all the butter is in, wipe around the sides with a spatula to make sure all the sauce is incorporated.
- Give the sauce one more quick burst and TAA DAAH -a lovely, smooth, thick, buttery sauce.
So there you have it, go and prove your Mamas wrong!
I know this recipe looks long and apologise if I have explained stuff that you know – for example I know my best friend is a massive poached egg fan and will be cursing my long drawn out explanation…BUT TOUGH!
Need Help – Ask!
(That wasnt going to be my catchphrase until it annoyed my sister – apparently I am not cool enough.)
Lots of Love, Morven x